Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chickens - Update..... 5 just born!

Just out of the shell and one still to come out! August 17, 2011
My brooding hen of 21 days reminds me of a painting I did a couple of years ago.  Chickens are a great subject to paint, practicing soft edges, reflected light and big shapes.  Sometimes when I am at a loss as to what to paint, I always dabble with chicken paintings.

Ethyl is Out, Watercolor
Just Pecking, Watercolor
The excitement around our house yesterday was that we heard little chirps coming from the six eggs we gave Laverne, our sitting hen.  While Laverne was up, stretching her legs and getting her self-induced regime of eating only once a day, I actually saw one of the eggs move! Today is the 21st day and the chicks will be breaking out of their calcified confinement. 
Laverne sitting on eggs



Curious onlookers



5 comments:

Ruth Armitage said...

Your hens and chicks are so adorable. It's no wonder you like to paint them! Congratulations on the new babies! Where did you get your fertile eggs?

Jacqueline said...

Craig's list! I bought eggs from a local lady that answered my ad in about an hour. Drove to her farm three weeks ago and came home with 6 "fertile" eggs.

Jacqueline said...

Thank you - I am very proud!

Timaree said...

Wonderful paintings and fun photos of the chicks and chickens.

Krista/Ruca said...

These hen paintings are sooooo great. I love the light in just pecking!