Thursday, March 6, 2014

Here is a Fun Warm-up Exercise

Here is the post that I did for this month's Sketchbook challenge.
Warm and cool colors are something that I think about all the time in my painting and enjoy playing warm colors against cool colors to create vibrate and dynamic watercolors.  Here is a fun exercise that you could do with warm colors or cool colors - your choice!  I did mine with warm colors.  You will need your watercolor paints, watercolor brushes and a Gold Leaf Pen for this exercise.
Start by drawing big shapes in your journal with the gold leaf pen.  I drew my initials JN.  Make sure you go off the page here and there.
 Then add smaller shapes within your large initials.
 Pick a color scheme warm or cool.  I chose a warm palette so I painted all my shapes with yellows, oranges, reds and combinations of these colors. The gold leaf pen lines will act as a resist to the paint.





This is my final page in my watercolor journal

Check out my Daniel Smith Watercolor Kit for great deal on watercolor paints.  If you are just getting started, this is the kit for you!  

3 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

What a nice idea...I will be trying this one!

DD Wilson said...

just checked Daniel Smith, your kit is Out of Stock.....and not available for free shipping. Think the kit is great, sorry to hear it is not available...

Jacqueline said...

Share what you do Sue!
DD they are waiting for brushes but it should be in stock again soon - I hope....